4-D Shevchenko Avenue, Odesa, 65044
e-mail: news@prichernomorie.com.ua
tel.: (048) 776-13-13, 776-14-14
en.prichernomorie.com.ua

More than 100 history experts to gather at an international conference in Odesa
13:58 / 10.03.2011

ODESA, MARCH 10th, 2011, CONTEXT-PRICHERNOMORIE More than 100 history experts will gather at an international conference in Odesa, Context-Prichernomorie correspondent reports.

Chairperson of the Organizing Committee, Head of History of Ancient and Medieval History of ONU Irina Nemchenko informed the agency about it today, 10 March.

According to Ms Nemchenko, 1112March, Department of History of Ancient and Medieval History of Odesa National Mechnikov University in cooperation with the Odesa Archaeological Museum of NASU, Department of Archaeology of the North-Western Black Sea NASU and the Odesa National Library named after M. Gorky, holds an international conference IX Readings in Memory of Professor P. O. Karyshkovskogo.

In Readings in Memory of Professor P. O. Karyshkovskogo Representatives from leading scientific centres of Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia — more than 100 scientists, experts in the field of European history the period of ancient, medieval and early modern times, archaeology, numismatics and etc. A collection of materials of conference «Ancient Black Sea.

INFORMATION: Pyotr Osipovich Karyshkovskij-Ikar (March 12, 1921, Odesa March 6, 1988, ibid) Ukrainian Soviet historian, numismatist, a scholar and lexicographer. Doctor of Historical Sciences, professor, since 1963 and until his last days he headed the department of ancient history and medieval Odesa University. In 1945 he graduated from the Faculty of History of Odesa University. In 19461948 he was a graduate student of World History (Ancient and Byzantine History). Karyshkovskij-Ikar was elected a corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute, the American Numismatic Society, and was a founding member of the Odesa Archaeological Society. He was honoured by his native Odesa, which gave his name to a street of the city.